Feasibility of diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging in evaluation of early therapeutic response after CT-guided microwave ablation of inoperable lung neoplasms
Published: 19 November 2021
European Radiology , Volume 32, pp 3288-3296; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-021-08387-7
Abstract: Objective: To determine the early treatment response after microwave ablation (MWA) of inoperable lung neoplasms using the apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) value calculated 24 h after the ablation. Materials and methods: This retrospective study included 47 patients with 68 lung lesions, who underwent percutaneous MWA from January 2008 to December 2017. Evaluation of the lesions was done using MRI including DWI sequence with ADC value calculation pre-ablation and 24 h post-ablation. DWI-MR was performed with b values (50, 400, 800 mm2/s). The post-ablation follow-up was performed using chest CT and/or MRI within 24 h following the procedure; after 3, 6, 9, and 12 months; and every 6 months onwards to determine the local tumor response. The post-ablation ADC value changes were compared to the end response of the lesions. Results: Forty-seven patients (mean age: 63.8 ± 14.2 years, 25 women) with 68 lesions having a mean tumor size of 1.5 ± 0.9 cm (range: 0.7–5 cm) were evaluated. Sixty-one lesions (89.7%) showed a complete treatment response, and the remaining 7 lesions (10.3%) showed a local progression (residual activity). There was a statistically significant difference regarding the ADC value measured 24 h after the ablation between the responding (1.7 ± 0.3 × 10−3 mm2/s) and non-responding groups (1.4 ± 0.3 × 10−3 mm2/s) with significantly higher values in the responding group (p = 0.001). A suggested ADC cut-off value of 1.42 could be used as a reference point for the post-ablation response prediction (sensitivity: 66.67%, specificity: 84.21%, PPV: 66.7%, and NPV: 84.2%). No significant difference was reported regarding the ADC value performed before the ablation as a factor for the prognosis of treatment response (p = 0.86). Conclusion: ADC value assessment following ablation may allow the early prediction of treatment efficacy after MWA of inoperable lung neoplasms. Key Points: • ADC value calculated 24 h post-treatment may allow the early prediction of MWA efficacy as a treatment of pulmonary tumors and can be used in the early immediate post-ablation imaging follow-up.• The pre-treatment ADC value of lung neoplasms is not different between the responding and non-responding tumors.
Keywords: Microwave ablation / Diffusion magnetic resonance imaging / Treatment outcome / Lung neoplasms
Scifeed alert for new publicationsNever miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
- Get alerts for new papers matching your research
- Find out the new papers from selected authors
- Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
- Define your Scifeed now
Click here to see the statistics on "European Radiology" .