New Search

Export article

Durability Aspects and mechanical strength of mortars containing glass powder and slag

Boubakeur Seddik Elbahi, Leila Zeghichi
Published: 6 August 2021

Abstract: The combination of glass powder with pozzolanic additions to replace clinker can develop new types of binders (ternary cement) with improved physical and mechanical properties, and enabling the reduction of clinker and natural resources consumption, and the minimisation of the CO2 emissions. In this context, the present work is an attempt to study the influence of glass powder (GP), with two different specific surface area (Blaine) GP30 = 300 m²/kg and GP45 = 450 m²/kg, combined with slag (S), on the mechanical behavior and durability of mortars. The mechanical properties were investigated using the compressive and flexural strength tests. In addition, aspects related to durability were examined as well by the water-accessible porosity, capillary absorption and sorptivity tests. The replacement rate of cement by glass powder varied from 10% to 20% and the proportion of slag was fixed at 10%. The results obtained showed that a binary mortar made with (20% GP45) replacement showed increases in 90-days compressive strength, while the ternary mortar with (20% GP45 +10% S) replacement gave the best result. The same trend is also valid for durability properties examined in this study. As well as, the combined use of GP and slag at 30% replacement levels seemed to give better instead of using GP alone.
Keywords: mortars / ternary / behavior / slag / replacement / durability / strength / clinker / glass powder

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

Share this article

Click here to see the statistics on "Advances in Cement Research" .
Back to Top Top